History of the department
Vision and Mission
HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
Department of music was established in the Institute on the 20th October, 1954 under the guidance of the foremost Head of the Department, late Shri P.N.Khardenavis. The Post Graduate course in vocal classical music was introduced in 1963 and has been continuing since then from 11th upto M.A.level. Simultaneously, courses in instrumental music (Sitar & Violin) at the Graduation level were also initiated in the Department at that time. The Department has got a rich tradition of accomplished artists. The founder Late Mr. P.N.Khardenvis was an accomplished artist. He was succeeded by Late Shri Rajabhau Kogje who was known for his musical renderings in "Thumari Gayki". Baba Saheb Deshpande was another luminary of the Department. His invention of the "TAAR-SHEHNAI" became popular and was accepted worldwide. From 1983 to 1994 Prof.S.N. Khardenvis was the Head of the Department, who was also elected Dean of the Faculty of Arts in the R.T.M. Hagpur University. He was succeeded by Dr.P.K.Kamble and Mrs.Meena Rao. Dr.A.S. Agnihotri followed as the next Head of the Department since 2000, who is the Chair Person of the Board of Studies of Music, R.T.M.Nagpur University. There are Five full time accopanists in the Department who accompany with renowned Artist of India.
Last Update 12 Mar 2019
Powered by Mr. Vicky S. Sawarkar