THE ANNUAL QUALITY ASSURANCE REPORT (AQAR) 2009-10
The Internal Quality Assurance Cell of the Institute for the session 2009-10 comprises of the following members:-
- Dr. Mrs. Neelima D. Sinha
- Dr. Mrs. V.K. Deshpande
- Dr. Mrs. Preety A. Trivedi
- Dr. Mrs. Renu S. Bali.
- Shri S. D. Punwatkar.
The plan of action chalked out by the IQAC in the beginning of the year was that of setting new goals, revising and re-determining the Vision and Mission of the Institute, in concurrence with the fast changing needs in the field of education and the society, at large. They are as follows:-
- Education for the Masses
- One Heart, One Mind
- Leading from Darkness to Light
- Fostering National and Global Competencies
- Inculcating a Value-based System of Education among students
- Contributing towards National Development
The aims and objectives determined in the previous year, towards bringing about quality enhancement, were instituted during the year 2010.
They are as follows:-
- Initiating steps towards setting-up libraries in the various Departments.
- Introducing and organizing self-sustaining courses.
- Increase in research activities.
- ICT-based innovations in the system of teaching, with a greater focus on learner-centered methods.
- Organizing guest lectures, seminars and workshops.
- Training and guiding students intensively for competitive examinations.
- Creating greater awareness and a sense of responsibility towards the environment.
- Initiating measures leading towards effective governance and healthy practices within the Institute.
- Establishing linkages with various academic bodies, individuals, GO's and NGO's.
- Encouraging and promoting the participation of students in Community Services, by way of NCC, NSS and through extension education practiced by certain departments.
- Enhancing Infrastructural facilities by putting-up proposals for multi-utility buildings comprising of a computer lab, conference room, seminar hall, with latest technological equipments and construction of the additional class rooms.
- Advanced facilities in the Library, based on latest technologies.
- Development of the playground.
- Implementation of Rajiv Gandhi Gati-Manta Abhiyaan, as per the feed-back questionnaires issued by the DHE, Pune.
- Obtaining feedback from the students for assessment of teachers’ performance
- Use of ICT for preparing and accessing information. Providing latest equipments to the practical departments and computers with essential furniture/accessories in every department.
- Grievance Redressal by way of personal psychological counseling.
- An Institutional Website, including all the essential information about the Institute.
- Guidance to students for placement in various corporate and private concerns.
- MOU with various organizations, professionals, GO's and NGO's.
- Improvement of the functioning of college as per the quality bench marks set by the Institute, the NAAC and the UGC.
Institutional Highlights of the year 2009-2010:-
Several significant activities were organized during this session, which reflect the vision and mission of "Fostering National and Global Competencies", "Inculcating a Value-based System of Education among students" and "Contributing towards National Development" and also the aims and objectives of the Institute.
- International Workshop- "Recession, Gender equality and Peace Keeping", by Department of Home Economics in collaboration with WILPF (Women's International League for Peace and Freedom- HQ Geneva).
- Eight-day Workshop on "Nathdwara Paintings-History and Technique", by the Department of Ancient Indian History and Culture with Shri Rajaram Sharma, an artist of International repute from Udaipur.
- UGC sponsored National Seminar on "Contribution of Pali Literature for Global Peace and Information Technology", by the Department of Pali-Praktrit.
- Regional Seminar on "Shayare-Hayat Allama Iqbal", by the Department of Urdu.
- Exhibition on on the Heritage of Maharashtra to commemorate 50 years of Maharashtra State and a Workshop on "Progression of Script from Brahmi to Modi" by the Department of Ancient Indian History and Culture in collaboration with the Department of Archives, Ministry of Cultural Resource, Government of Maharashtra, Mumbai.
- Workshop on "Female Health Problems, Mental Health and Marital Counseling" by the Department of Home Economics.
- The Teachers represented the Institute in a State-level Workshop on "Upgrading Government Institutes and Colleges to World Class" in Sydenham College, Mumbai, organized by the Ministry of Education, Government of Maharashtra.
- The Department of Ancient Indian History and Culture received recognition for providing guidance, support and research material to The National Geographic Channel Network (India) Private Limited’ which represents 'The National Geographic and Fox History & Entertainment Channels' in their production titled 'HISTORY OF NAMES'. Teachers from the Department of Music, Home Economics and Geography also contributed in recording the documentary, which will be telecast in August, 2010.
- Felicitation of Shri Ulhaas Kashalkar, recipient of Padmashri, by the Department of Music.
- Felicitation of Meritorious Students of the Institute by the Students Council.
- A Lecture-cum-Patha-Natya in the memory of people who lost their lives in the Terrorist Attack of 26/11, Mumbai, whereby creating awareness about Anti-Terrorism, by the Department of Hindi.
- Workshop on for students of the Under-Gradute clesses, by the Department of Hindi.
- Conducting examinations to prepare students for various entrance exams.
- Special Guest Lecture on "Communication and Information Technology" for teaching and non-teaching staff of the Institute, by Mr. Prashant Joshi.
- Blood donation camp organized by the NSS, in which forty six units of blood was donated to Lifeline, a blood bank.
- Women's Cell - Active participation of students in creating awareness among rural women towards their rights. Programmes conducted for girl students regarding women's physical and mental health and marriage counseling, Poster presentation on violence against women, celebration of Women's day and participation in Panel Discussion on Woman's Bill. Representatives of the Institute attend and report the activities of the Women's Cell to the Department of Women and Child Welfare, in the Collectorate, Nagpur city.
The Mission Statement of the Institute reflects its goals, activities and aspirations. The students and the staff always endeavor to achieve these goals:-
Continuous Quest for Acquiring Knowledge: A consistent effort is made to impart knowledge and skills to the students that are in accordance with the demands of the changing times. "Learning should not be limited to passing the examination", this fact is taken into consideration while evolving and adopting new methods of teaching. Innovating techniques of teaching encourage the students in greater understanding of the subject matter as well as its practical applications.
Students as the Focal Point: The students are the focal point of most of the activities that are carried out in the Institute. Efforts are made to adopt policies that are beneficial to them not only while they are students of the Institute, but also after they pass out and establish themselves in the world. Hence the teachers impart skills to the students that will help them in translating these skills into practical applications in various spheres of life, such as personal, professional and national. Co-curricular, extra-curricular as well as Extension activities is given equal importance, thus helping the students in developing an all-round wholesome personality.
Encouraging Active Learning: The teachers encourage in developing the ability of critical thinking by giving the students the opportunity to express their thoughts and interact freely with the faculty. Integrative and inclusive approach towards various subjects is also encouraged, so that a sense of appreciation and respect for other subjects is inculcated in the students. This effort has also resulted in exploring and nurturing their hidden talent and creativity.
To Develop a Sense of Social Responsibility: The students are sensitized towards social, ecological, economic and political issues and their active participation in the form of extension activities, 'Safai Abhiyan' economic surveys and observation of Assembly Session is encouraged.
Fostering Research: The teachers and students pursue research in the various areas, of their interest. Research projects, research for M.Phil and Ph.D degrees are an important part of the academic pursuits carried out in the Institute.
Effective and Efficient Governance: Efficient and effective governance is ensured by the Director of the Institute by way of improving and revising the day to day running of the Institute, every year. The time-table of the Institute was re-scheduled to provide more time for the various activities of the college, like the grouping of the subjects for admissions was altered according to ideal subject combinations and convenience in the time-table.
The admission procedure was also redefined and made available in the college web-site. The teaching schedule of the Institute was previously divided into two sessions; the morning session for the Junior College and the afternoon session for the Senior College. From this session onwards the time-table for the Senior College has been shifted from the afternoon session to the morning and the Junior College now functions in the afternoon. Maintaining departmental data-bases for students like, number of admissions, faculty profiles, result analysis and research activities, have been made compulsory for every department. This data is being processed in every departmental computer, to be made electronically available to all. A Condemnation Board, discipline committee and Guidance and Counseling Cells have been set up for fast and easy redressal of problems, if they arise.
The Institute Plans for Quality Enhancement in Higher Education by way of:-
The above mentioned aims and objectives have been planned to achieve the ultimate goal of the Institute; that of Academic Autonomy.
- Golden Jubilee of the College Campus: Preparing to celebrate one hundred years of existence of the Historic Building of Morris College, i.e. Vasantrao Naik Government Institute of Arts and Social Sciences.
- Preparing for Re-accreditation: The Institute has sent its Letter of Intent for Re-accreditation, for which response from NAAC is awaited. The Core Committee and Criterion-wise committees have been formed and they arrange regular meetings, collect and compile data periodically.
- Systematic Time Bound Programmes: Introducing mid-term, terminal and the preliminary exams for improving the academic schedule of the subjects as well as the academic performance of the students. Every teacher shall maintain a daily diary, pre planning and executing activities on a day-to- day basis.
- Educational Calendar of the Institute: The prospectus, including the time-table and yearly roster of the Institute will be revised according to the revised plans for the coming session.
- Transparent Admission Process: The process of admission will be displayed in the Institutional web-site for quick and easy access to the students. The revised changes in the admission policy will also be displayed online.
- Develop the Website of the Institute: A web-site of the Institute, http//www.vngiassnagpur.org. To be made accessible for information, on the Internet.
- ICT-Based Teaching-Learning Programmes: The process of providing electronically accessible data to the teachers and the students, which was initiated in the previous year, will be continued in the coming session too.
- Modern/Virtual Classrooms: A grant to this effect has been sanctioned and will be utilized for the same in the coming session.
- Internet facility to all students: Computer laboratory is in the process of completion and will be made available to the students in the next session.
- Ad-on Job and Skill Oriented Courses: Economically challenged students of the Institute will be encouraged and given add-on jobs within the campus to generate income for their education and personal needs. This will encourage the concept of, "Earn While You Learn" for the students.
- Promoting and Publishing Research Papers: The Institute plans to initiate a Bi-Annual Certified Journal for Social Sciences, Interdisciplinary Studies and Education. A committee for the same has been formed to complete the procedure and launch the Journal from the coming Academic Session.
- Involving Students in Research Activities: Efforts will be made to involve students in Research activities more so in the area of carrying out Surveys .Efforts will also be made to carry out research activities in collaboration with other Educational Institutes, NGO's and GO's.
- Introducing Post–Graduate Courses: Continuous efforts are being made to introduce Post–Graduate courses in the subjects which do not have the same. Time and again proposals have been sent to the Director of Education, Pune and a positive response from the said office is awaited.
- Development of the Playground for National and International Games: Proposals for grants to improve and upgrade the college playground and gymnasium are in various stages of approval/sanction from various funding agencies.
- "Jan Jagruti Abhiyaan": The Institute plans to initiate "Jan Jagruti Abhiyaan" towards National and State issues.
- Beautification and Development of the Campus: The Institute plans to develop a Botanical garden with medicinal plants, in the campus.
- Development of Boys Hostel, Canteen and the Entrance Gate.